Like any other safety aspect of a rented property or business premises, the requirement to have an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) carried out is now a legal duty. If you’re a landlord or business owner, this EICR legislation will affect you.

For landlords, this legal duty was only recently established during the summer of 2020, and covers all electrical appliances within your property or properties.

If you fail to obtain an EICR or get the wrong one, you could face a fine from your local authority of up to £30,000.

What is an EICR?

An EICR is an Electrical Installation Condition Report. It involves an in-depth inspection of all the electrics within your home and property and can take up to four hours to complete, depending on the size of your home and the number of circuits it has. For more information about this type of electrical report, read our EICRs explained page.

Who has a legal duty to have an EICR carried out?

You’ll be legally obliged to obtain regular EICRs if you’re a landlord or business owner, with recommendations also in place for private homeowners. This is to ensure that every tenant, employee, and visitor is safe while they’re on your premises, and that all your electrical systems are fully functioning, in accordance with the British Safety Standard BS 7671.

The legislation that directly concerns EICRs for landlords is set out in the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector 2020. It sets out that landlords must:

  • Ensure national standards for electrical safety are met
  • Ensure that all electrical installations within their tenanted properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person every five years
  • Obtain a report setting out the date of the most recent test as well as the next one
  • Supply a copy of this report to your existing tenants, new tenants, and potential tenants
  • Supply a copy of the report to the local authority within seven days of them asking for it
  • Keep a copy of the report to provide to any future EICR testers
  • If the report shows you need to have work done on your electrics, this must be carried out within 28 days

Where can I find an EICR electrician?

Under UK legislation, you must have your EICR carried out by a ‘qualified and competent’ person. In guidance set out by the government, a ‘competent’ person is an electrician who is a member of relevant established schemes, such as NICEIC, Gas Safe and TrustMark.

You can also ask that contractor to see proof of insurance, any relevant qualifications and knowledge of both Building Regulations and the British National Standard for Safety.

All of the electricians here at MD Bespoke meet the legislative requirements and can carry out EICRs.

EICR services in Surrey, London and Kent

MD Bespoke Solutions have been working with both domestic and commercial clients for decades, providing electrical audits and surveys for businesses, landlords, and private homeowners in Surrey, London, and across the southeast, including West Sussex and East Sussex.

Thanks to our extensive experience, we can provide advice and expertise on your legal position and undertake any work required for you to comply with your duties.

If you’d like to find out more information about our comprehensive EICR services, or just want more details on EICR legislation, get in touch with us today.